9.08.2026

Castle Xyntillan Journal - Part Seven

 Before you proceed, please understand that this is an in-character record of my gaming notes. Be aware that it contains spoilers for the Castle Xyntillan mega dungeon module. Turn back now.

Start at Part One.

Learn more about the Castle Xyntillan Campaign.

Mow Cop Castle. Author, Brian Deegan. Presented as original, with no changes. Shared under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
Author: Brian Deegan. Shared under license.

The Sixth Expedition, September 1, 2026 

Despite our minor setback which saw many of my companions sat out of the previous expedition, we were able to assemble a large company of delvers to tackle Castle Xyntillan once more. 

Our adventuring company arranged as follows: 

  • Norg, a thief of the gnomish persuasion, and devilishly handsome to boot
  • Whim, a fighter and great mind
  • Spud, a fellow thief and ne'er do well
  • Carl, a cleric in the throes of puppy love
  • Riley, a cleric of sound mind 
  • Dettmar, a dwarven cleric and great drinker
  • Quirky, an elven fighter and my longest serving adventuring companion
  • A mysterious fighting woman of prodigious strength
  • A magic user, whose name I presume is secret for magical purposes
  • Two hirelings, for fighting
  • And Tater, Spud's mule

Rumours Heard in the City 

Well spent coin will  always send tongues a wagging,  and we took the taverns and taphouses, where we wet whistles and listened as yarns were spun. It seems that no matter how many times we make forays into the halls of the Malevol's cursed castle, the gossip mongers are only more than happy to share what they know -- or are willing to speculate. 

"Don't trust the talking portraits." Author's note: We can dismiss this as bunkum, since my companions and I liberated the castle's portrait gallery during a previous visit. I won't dismiss the possibility of more being present, but I will say that I'm highly suspicious.

"There is a great secret below the Donjon." Author's note: This I am willing to lend greater credence too. Not only does the information come from a more trustworthy source, our delving company has also discovered many secret doors within the castle and its grounds. When we eventually attempt the donjon, I can assure you that we will thoroughly probe its depths to ascertain the veracity of this rumour. 

In addition, Dettmar and Quirky shared some updates from their previous visit:

  • There is a large reserve of wine in secret, private quarters behind the chapel.
  • The town tax office is keen to get their hands on the castle's accounting ledger.

Developments with the Castle Ravens

I must confess, I was beside myself being away from the ravens for an entire month! Would they remember their friend Norg? I was sure to pack away extra meat to make up for my absence. Luckily, I am happy to report that the ravens were as pleased as always to be fed. One even ate from the palm of my hand! A truly joyous occurrence. 

Developments with the Rose Garden

The rose garden continues to grow back. Were the bulbs not providing some use, I would have salted the earth in which these wretched plants grow. However, the bulbs do bring us some coin with the local alchemist, who has studied the capacity of the plants to cause living creatures to lull into a slumber. In addition, we spotted no signs of arms and legs sprouting back, thank the Golden Hills!

Between the Guard Posts

As you may recall, the courtyard contains two guard posts which stand before an entrance, which leads into an inner courtyard. It is in this inner courtyard where gargoyles dwell, and I'd really like to make acquaintance with them. 

Once you open this great wooden door, you are beset by a long corridor of some 20' by 60'. Bones and scarps of armor litter the ground here. If you explore here, be aware that more arrow slits line both of the stone walls which stand on either side of the causeway. 

My companions were startled to hear a booming voice declare, "Welcome to your doom," followed by cackling laughter. I showed some cheek and snapped back, mockingly, thinking it was some sort of illusory magic. Later developments would have me questions this decision. 

Dettmar expressed concern that this path might be detrimental, and after a brief discourse, we decided to return to the front doors of the castle. 

Through the Front...

On approach, the great booming voice once again mocked us, and from a distance we spied corpses on the steps of the entrance. The equine statue (the one with the human hands in place of hooves), snapped its finger and the bodies rose as zombies. However, Dettmar spoke his godly words of censure, and the undead were sent fleeing away, allowing us to proceed without further molestation. 

...and to the Chapel

Dettmar, Quirky and our mysterious magic user had explored the castle grounds while the rest of us were laid up, and reported a secret stash of wine they discovered in a head priest's quarters. And we've been meaning to bring a cart with us for some time, so we made sure to load up the cart and mule with eight casks of wine from this hidden place. 

Before that, however, we had to deal with a spirit in the chapel. Outside of the room, Spud was able to listen and hear a man's voice, reciting a speech. Girding our guts, we pushed into the chamber. Here, we were met with the apparition of a man of a lordly disposition. Haughty, with a flowing beard and frilly silk garments, he made demand of our presence. He is the spectre of Frederick Malevol (the Melodramatic). Dettmar spoke first, and explained that we were here to collect wine for an event (and this is why I believe the stories of gnomes and dwarves sharing an ancestor; I couldn't have fibbed better myself). Satisfied with our answer, he gave no further trouble to our company. 

As for myself, I made further conversation with the spirit, and learned that he was rehearing a play, and badly, I might add. In case it is useful to you, dear reader, the play is known as "Chains of an Old Woman." I fear to say that the play might be as bad as the rehearsal, but perhaps I need to see it performed by living actors? As a parting gift, I shared an old gnomish limerick for his amusement.

A gnome might go a wandering
As his mind gets to a pondering
What gold can stay
With a dithering bray
As his life he goes about squandering

The booming voice returned as we loaded the wine, mocking us, "You fooled him but you haven't fooled me!" They say the third time's the charm but honestly I found it quite bothersome. 

Back to the Cellar

There was still more wine to get! Descending to the wine cellar, we once again met with Ambrosious Malevol. This time, I did the talking. We informed the monk of the private reserve, which incensed the souse, and he informed our party that the transgression would be brought before the family to declare a "wild hunt," which sounded dreadful to me. I expect we'll eventually face similar retribution from this band of eccentrics the more we poke around and leave with their valuables. 

While I stood watch for the return of Ambrosius, my companions made good with liberating the cask of the family's special reserve. This required some binding on our part, but the efforts were successful. In addition, Spud discovered a strange cask of fortifying wine, which seemed to increase one's resistance to toxins. This we happily added to our haul. 

Finally, while looking for more wine to pilfer, our fellowship discovered a false barrel. Lending our warrior woman my trusty crowbar, she made easy work of its lid, which reveals a hidden tunnel and ladder, leading deeper below the castle. Many of us are quite keen to see where this might lead. 

Lastly, on the way out, we grabbed the grandfather clock from the study which adjoins the cellar (unfortunately, Ben Mordecai, the proprietor of the curio shop in town didn't wish to buy the evil thing).

Past the North Door in the Study

The study room, which housed the clock, has a north facing door. We pushed through, and this opened into a chamber of 60' x 20'. Two doors are on the eastern wall of this room, about 10 feet apart. An herbal smells lingers here, and it is filled with accoutrements of an arcane persuasion. A low desk has on top of it a stuffed raven, which tested magical according to our dwarven cleric. Strange glyphs were engraved on the wall, and I made rubbings of them with chalk and parchment. 

There is also a strange geometry displayed on the wall. I investigated too closely, I must confess, and my mind was lost in a spiral of strange Euclidean angles which threatened to drive me mad! However, gnomish minds are not so easily broken, as there are many magic workers amongst my kind, and I was able to shake off whatever trap was laid. I can confidently say that I may not have walked away any wiser for the experience, but I certainly am smarter for it. The tangents!

Finally, there were a couple of shelves arrayed with a wizard's bric-a-brac. Spud wisely scooped it all into a sack for further consideration. Like them, I'm hoping that it's worth a pretty penny. 

Within the Twin Doors

After making the most of things in the wizard's study, we explored through the double doors on the east wall. This led us to a chamber about 30' x 30', but cleaned out it would seem (do we have competition?). There is a door in the east corner of the north wall, as well as a door located at the center east wall. 

This door is quite mysterious and strange, showing a wrought iron head of a bat! I was dreading my attempt to pick its lock, but thankfully our mysterious mesmer was simply able to magick it open to my great relief. I will note that the iron bat opened and closed its mouth several times before opening, so I expect this to be a complex lock if I need to try opening it myself. 

The Vampire's Lair?

One of the most dreadful things one can encounter would be a vampire, naturally. And I think my companions and I found one. 

The chamber in question is 50' x 30' with a door to the south, another to the north, and another 30' from the western wall. It is a luxurious and well-appointed suite. Red and black drapes decorate the walls, and family portraits hang. A plump, plush couch has a coffin sitting atop it, with a red decanter resting on top. A writing desk sits at one wall, and there is a trunk here as well. Four gold candelabra sit on the desk, and crossed rapiers decorate the wall. Our dwarfish cleric confirmed that one is magical, as well as the hanging portraits. Nothing we could immediately view tested as evil, but there is no telling for sure until we open things up. 

However, we decided to back away from the cusp of wealth, as it was growing late and decided it was best not to push our luck. 

Of Note 

Be ready to confront a supreme undead. 

Continue with Part Eight (coming circa 9/15/26).

-Daz

No comments:

Post a Comment