On the first and third Tuesday of each month, my local library runs its old school D&D campaign. During months with five weeks, the fifth Tuesday is used for running one shots and training new volunteer Dungeon Masters. And while I personally have decades of experience with RPGs, I have volunteered to run a game during this time, as well as serving as a backup DM for the regular campaign.
![]() |
| Source: Wikimedia Commons |
For this upcoming session, I will be running The Temple of Set, which is found in the Oasis of the White Palm module, and the Desert of Desolation mega module. It's a fairly short dungeon crawl, but perfect for the two to two and half hours we have for each session of our library campaign. I initially chose it because I was going to fill in as a backup DM, but another player from that group was able to run for the table. As a result, I kept it tucked away for a future opportunity.
Converting the module only required a little work. Since it plays into the overall campaign arc, I simply removed the story elements associated with those modules. Then, instead of searching for the missing princess, as presented in the original module, I shifted the focus to recovering the star gem found within the dungeon. Since our library campaign uses a Delver's Guild for its backdrop, recovering the star gem is a mission for these journeymen adventurers to undertake.
Another reason I chose to use the Temple of Set is because it is a straightforward dungeon crawl. I have offered to let anyone interested "ride along" with me in running the module, so that they can see how Dungeon Mastering works behind-the-scenes. So far, there are no takers, but I will enjoy it nonetheless.
What follows is a simple synopsis for the table, as well as some rumors I cooked up to help add some flavor to the adventure. If you want to use my notes, you can download my Temple of Set Synopsis.
Temple of Set Synopsis
After centuries, what was once thought lost may now be found. One of the fabled “star gems” is rumored to be locked away in the sprawling ruins of Azanthenum. The Star Gem of Khan-Pelar is said to be locked away in a hidden library within one of the ancient temples, long ago sealed by the periodic razing of Azanthenum. Your party, through the Delver’s Guild, has been hired to locate and extract this fabled gem. With the help of sages, the location of the temple ruins has been identified.
However, all is not well. Rumors are circulating about people going missing in the night. Is this the work of a strange new cult, or something far more sinister?
Rumors
1. A thief, after plumbing the ruins on his own, tells you, “I heard what they said to enter their temple. The phrase “Open in the name of the Great One.”
2. At the brothel, you overheard a mention of a client mumbling the name, “Nol-Anka” in their sleep. What a weird and exotic name!
3. Two clerics are overheard, arguing, “Only an icy disposition can quell the fires of Set!” The other cleric guffawed with indignation in response.
4. A gnarled wizard tells your fortune, “Only fools consort with Garath! Beware his three-horned sign!”
5. The town drunk sobs to you, before passing out, “He made the right choice and is still a monkey’s uncle!”
6. A concerned foreman tells you, “The Merchant’s Guild has been hiring more laborers. However, fewer each day return from the trade routes.”
7. Frightened to the core, a craftsman shares his chilling tale of Drow stalking the merchant caravans.
8. A local barfly shares, “Did you see the bugbear owned by the rich merchant? He loves to say, “Selamat,” whatever that means!”
9. A gossipy barmaid tells you, “The head of the Merchant’s Guild, Tolnus Granicus, hasn’t been seen in public for months, but the purchase orders keep getting signed.”
10. A shadowy figure stops you, and warns, before vanishing into the crowd, “The Cult of Set meets in the small hours of the night.”
_(14747749566).jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment